Monday, October 1, 2012


10

because you cannot eat money
because the lung came from a swim bladder
because of the Burgess Shale
because we are aquatic creatures still
because of all the relatives rights
because of more than three billion years
because who the fuck are we to destroy all this?
because I like the idea of my grandchildren
            and my grandchildren’s grandchildren too
because once and this is true I worked on
            the water and an orca came close by
            the side of my boat and I could have
            reached out and touched its dorsal fin
            but I did not
because in the industrial revolution we
            outsources the body and now we are
            outsourcing the mind
because of the Exxon Valdez
because of Enron
because of Kalamazoo
because our representatives don’t represent
because of otters
because of shellfish and bivalvular life generally
because I have canoed many rivers and found
            them each a unique voice of this earth
because there is love and principle and
            responsibility which is the ability
            to respond and so I am responding now

No comments:

Post a Comment